Menu Bar

Friday, December 21, 2012

Personalized Sleeping Bags Gift Idea

My oldest (as we have been friends since the first grade) friend has three boys ranging in age from 13 to 5. They live a few hours away and sadly we don't see each other as often as we'd like to.

We have bought each other gifts for as long as i can remember and now for each other's kids as well. A fun tradition, however as the boys grow it becomes harder and harder to know what they like and find something they really need/want!

This year I decided to get them all sleeping bags! Something they don't have, is good for all the ages and can be used for many years! I got a great deal on these Coleman sleeping bags on Black Friday, however I was really wishing to get three different colors. You know to prevent fighting and battles over who's is who's. Three boys, three matching sleeping bags...not a good idea.

So here is my solution! I am so happy with how it came out!

Custom Fleece Sleeping Bags
I bought a half yard of three different fleece fabrics in patterns I thought fit the boys and that could grow with them.

I then dug out my embroidery thread back from my day of making friendship bracelets and who knows what else! And a large needle.

I cut the fabric to fit the front section of the sleeping bag to the fold. A half yard is already a good length for depth in the bag so I left that as it was.

I then used my needle and embroidery thread and stitched the fleece on. I overlapped the front section of the bag so you can see the pattern of the fabric and immediately tell who's bag it is. I also love that when you cozy down in the sleeping bag, the soft fleece is right around your face.

To finish the set I took a swatch of the leftover cut fleece and tied it to the storage bag. Again making it easy to grab the sleeping bag that belongs to you!

This was super easy and very affordable! Big Brother is already requesting special fleece fabric for his sleeping bag...so I may be on to something!

Here are the other two fabrics just waiting to be sewn on! As Christmas is just a few days away I better get busy!

I'd love to hear what you think! Comments, suggestions or if you make one send me some pictures!

1 comment:

  1. What a great idea, Jesi! I really like that you put a strip on the outside of the bag too! Great job!

    ReplyDelete