Menu Bar

Friday, December 21, 2012

LunchSkins Review

I have found another must have product for our family! In my effort to cut back on waste and wasting money I came across LunchSkins!

Vibrant, affordable and made in the USA, they really caught my attention! I was so excited to have the opportunity to review not one but three different sizes!

About LunchSkins
LunchSkins was started in 2008 after the statistics of school lunch sandwich bags that go into landfills every day really hit home. A staggering 20 million bags a day, and that is just from school lunches!

Wanting to make a difference and knowing other families were too, they put their passion and energy to creating a colorful, fresh alternative to plastic baggies.

LunchSkins Review
I was pleasantly surprised when I pulled these out of the package! The extremely vibrant, clean designs caught my attention first, and then the lightweight quality of the fabric next.

I had the opportunity to review the sandwich bag size (6.5x6.5) the snack bag size (6.5x3.5) and the sub bag size (8x7). All sizes have a hook and loop closure and are nicely sewn.

The bags themselves are made from a special cotton fabric that is coated with a food-safe polyurethane liner. Manufactured in Europe this has been used in bakeries and restaurants for many years. They are all hand sewn and designed here in the USA and are free of BPA and phthalates.

This fabric is very easy to wash and is actually even dishwasher safe. I hand washed them for my initial testing, and then put one in the dishwasher to try that too. I think if you had anything sticky or wet you should turn the bag inside out and then wash in the dishwasher, otherwise it doesn't get out all the food. This of course was for the sub bag size, so snack bag size would probably work better. They are super easy to wash and the food comes right off though, so hand washing isn't a problem.

I was really excited to see the sub size bags as most sandwich bag sizes fit the old school square bread, where we use bread that is more of a rectangle shape and is always a tight squeeze to fit in a sandwich bag. This bread and sandwich went in easily with plenty of room to spare! Perfect!


All the LunchSkins bags also have a spot to put your name, or child's name on the flap. This of course is ideal for sending these to school with your kiddos and expecting them to come home.

One thing to note is that these are not waterproof. The fabric itself is moisture and grease proof, however the seams where it is stitched together is not a complete waterproof seal. I tested this when I washed my bags and it did drip a little bit out the corners. So you would want to make sure nothing was super wet before filling.

I can see LunchSkins being used for much more than just food. Think crayons, money, cosmetics, toys, pens/pencils. You name it, it could be stored and packed in LunchSkins!

The sandwich bags size LunchSkin costs $8.95, the snack bag size is $7.85 and the sub size is $10.95. You can also buy them in combo packs and save a little. There are 6 different combo packs that give you different mixes of sizes. You can check them out here and the pricing.

Make sure to show LunchSkins some love on Facebook and Twitter! Go Green and get yourself some LunchSkins!
Disclosure: I received this product for the purpose of review. I did not receive any compensation for this review. The opinions in my reviews are my own, and others’ opinions may vary. This post was written by me and not edited by anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment