Menu Bar

Sunday, May 6, 2012

2x4 We Love Grandma Project

Mother's Day is only a week away! I love and want to show my Mom how special she is and how much she means to me. Yet she requests no gifts as she wants me to save my money and doesn't need/want anything. It doesn't help that her Birthday is only a week prior to Mother's Day as well.
So that is usually where the handmade gifts come in. This year I found a 2x4 project on the blog How Does She for inspiration and knew this would be the perfect gift! Of course mine would be We Love Grandma!

The best part about this project is that I was pretty sure with a few modifications I had everything I needed around the house to make this. And I did.

Supply List:
Modge Podge
small paint brush
Scrapbooking Paper
Clothespins
2x4 pieces
3 wood screws
paint or stain
wood glue

First thing I went out back and found a couple 2x4 scraps from building our deck. They were a bit rough, but I cut them to the size I wanted and sanded them down and they were perfect.
I then measured and cut my scrapbook paper of choice to size. And Modge Podged it to the board. This part is fun and easy! My 3 year old son was eager to help. Putting some Modge Podge under as glue and then a coating over the paper as well. Let Dry.



I wasn't happy with the orange-ish stain that was already on the boards. So I found a dark brown paint and used a rag to kind of scrub it over the boards giving a rustic finish. The brown would match my Mom's house so much better. I then gave the edges just a tad bit more sanding.


I then found 3 long wood screws and screwed the two boards together. Leaving just a little bit of a lip in front. (I forgot to get a picture of this part).

I used basic wooden clothespins and again rag painted them to match the brown and then glued them on with wood glue. I also used the same brown paint for the I Love Grandma.

And that's it! In about 2 hours you have the perfect inexpensive gift from the heart for your Mom, Grandma or someone special. Of course you can customize the wording and make this gift for any occasion. I'm thinking a big long board would be perfect for a mantle!


7 comments:

  1. What a creative project! This would make such a thoughtful Mother's Day gift. Stumbled the post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMGoodness that is AMAZING! I LOVE it and I am going to make that! WOW. What a sweet gift!
    jenny at dapperhouse

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice! I don't have any of those supplies laying around or I'd make one,

    ReplyDelete
  4. OhmyHECK - This is freakin' perfect! This is what I'm making for my mom - thanks so much for the easy tutorial :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my this is tooo cute..I'm going to add this to my Mothers Day Easy Homemade Crafts..You Rock..Oh and hopped over from Musings of A Stay at Home Mom :) Pinterest Monday!
    Definately pinning you!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that! It's a beautiful decoration, plus it's so personal! SO crafty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an awesome way to reuse and recycle! You are super crafty! Your script on the front...spotless. It would also make a great memo holder...for a desk perhaps!

    ReplyDelete