Menu Bar

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Blackberry Muffins Recipe

Blackberries are ripe and plentiful right now here in Oregon! The grow everywhere like a weed and you can pick as much as your heart desires...for FREE! You seriously can not get rid of blackberry bushes. And although they can be a pain, the fruit is worth waiting for!

We recently went camping and I always like to make muffins for a quick grab and go breakfast and easy clean up. Big Brother and I had just picked a big bowl of blackberries and so blackberry muffins it was this trip!

I found this recipe at Simply Recipes, and modified mine a tiny bit to be a little more healthy. Although next time I might just use all white flower, because I know they will be melt in your mouth delicious!

Blackberry Muffin Recipe
Ingredients
• 2 1/2 Cups of all purpose flour ( I did one cup white and 1 1/2 wheat)
• 1 Tbsp baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
• 2 large eggs
• 1 cup sour cream ( I used half and half because I was out of sour cream/yogurt and applesauce)
• 1 teaspoon milk ( I cut this out when I used the half and half)
• 1 cup sugar
• 8 Tbsp warm melted butter (1 stick)
• 1 teaspoon vanilla
• 1 1/2 cups of fresh blackberries (if using frozen, defrost and drain first)

Instructions
1.Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease muffin pan or line with paper of silicone cups.

2.Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl.

3. In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, sour cream, milk, sugar, butter and vanilla.

4. Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and mix together lightly just until moistened. Add the berries. Do not over mix!
5. Scoop your batter into the cups about 3/4 full. I use a cookie scoop and got 24 muffins out of this recipe. Bake 13-15 minutes.
6. Serve and enjoy!
Even with the wheat flour and half and half these muffins were delicious! Nearly a dessert when warm from the oven. They were sturdy enough to pack camping and would freeze well too!

The blackberries won't last long! So for all of  you who are in blackberry country, it's time to head out pickin'!

2 comments:

  1. Yum! Think I will make these! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow these look good and just look at all those berries in these...Oh Yummm!

    ReplyDelete