Menu Bar

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Healthy Blueberry Oatmeal Pancakes

It's the weekend! Yay! And my family and I usually try to make some sort of larger family breakfast at least one day on the weekends. This is one of our favorite go to recipes. Easy, healthy and best of all they taste amazing!

Healthy Blueberry Oatmeal Pancakes

Ingredients:
1 cup wheat flour
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon (or less) salt
1 1/2 cup old fashioned whole oats
2 cups milk
3 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup olive oil (or applesauce)
1/2 cup frozen blueberries

Directions:
Preheat a lightly oiled griddle over medium heat.
In a large bowl, mix flour, brown sugar, baking powder & salt.
In a small bowl, mix oats and milk. Whisk in eggs and olive oil (or I use applesauce). 
Pour into the flour mixture all at once. Continue mixing until smooth. Gently fold in blueberries.
Pour batter about 1/4 cup at a time onto the prepared griddle. Cook 1 to 2 minutes until bubbly. Flip, and continue cooking until lightly browned. (I find I have to turn them a couple times to make sure the batter cooks evenly around the frozen blueberries.)
My kids love these! With the blueberries and a bit of syrup they are just the right amount of sweetness! Add a couple strips of turkey bacon and you have the perfect healthy family friendly breakfast! 


Note: These also freeze well! This recipe says it makes 8 servings. So I make them all and freeze the leftovers. Great for a fast healthy breakfast for your kids any day!

8 comments:

  1. These look delicious and healthy too! I like they can freeze as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter's favorite food is pancakes. I usually do a combo of AP and whole wheat flour but you've encouraged me to try using all whole wheat next time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been trying to eat healthier and figured I'd have to give up pancakes completely, but this look awesome! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These looks yummy! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look so yummy and sound it too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! I'm your newest follower and co-host of this month's blog hop. Thanks so much for joining in on the fun :) I'm looking forward to getting you know you better!

    Mmm this looks like a yummy recipe

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the smiley face version!! Thanks for linking up to Friday FOod Frenzy. New fan here now.
    Hope to see you again next week. Have a great weekend. http://www.stayingclosetohome.com/2012/09/friday-food-frenzy-week-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love that these do freeze well because my grandson will eat one or 2 maybe but this way I could make ahead and save me time along with it. They look yummy!

    ReplyDelete