Menu Bar

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Homemade Kool-Aid Playdough Recipe


Are you looking for something to do with your kiddos today? Make homemade playdough! My oldest son has been asking to make playdough for days now. So as soon as my little guy went down for a nap, into the kitchen we went.

I found my recipe here on Musings From a Stay at Home Mom. I didn't have any cream of tartar so I just left it out. And when I opened my cupboard for food coloring, I spotted the Kool-Aid pack instead. I've been seeing all sorts of pins on Pinterest for dying Easter Eggs with Kool-Aid so I thought why not give it a try for playdough too! (Note: We do not drink Kool-Aid :o) it was leftover from a Birthday party, and I would much rather use it for dye than have my kids drink it).

What you need:
• 1 cup flour (I used white here, but have used wheat in the past as well)
• 1 cup water
• 1/3 cup salt
• 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
• pack of Kool-Aid

Directions:
In a saucepan add your flour, salt, water, vegetable oil and Kool-Aid. Mix together. Turn your burner on medium and continue stirring until your dough starts clumping and forms a ball. Usually this will only take a couple of minutes.





Place the ball on some wax paper to cool. Once the dough is cooled kneed it just a bit until smooth and doughy.


That's it! You just made a super fun, super easy project for your kids! Better yet you know exactly what you put in it! This will keep in an air-tight container in the fridge for quite some time too!

The best part is this vibrant blue color we got from the Kool-Aid, and it smells wonderful too! See how much fun this is!

3 comments:

  1. Cool! I might have to try this with my kids I nanny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm totally saving this for when my son is older. I may even try this when I go visit my nephews this summer.

    ReplyDelete