Menu Bar

Friday, September 21, 2012

Soft Star Shoes Review


I recently got to do something that is very rare in the blogging world. Or at least it is to me and my blog. I was able to go physically see where my review item was made and meet a the fabulous team behind the scenes!
I came across Soft Star Shoes just by chance online. I was excited and shocked to see they were located  in Corvallis, Oregon. A town I have visited many many times, yet I had never heard of them. What is even more rare is that each and every shoe is hand made right in their shop in Corvallis.
As I was lucky enough to have the chance to review a pair of their shoes and they were close enough to drive and visit, the boys and I packed up the car to go for a visit and check them out!

Arriving at Soft Star Shoes we entered into a fun, whimsical atmosphere that totally fits the feel and designs of their shoes.
About Soft Star
Soft Star was started in 1984 by Tim Oliver and his wife Jeanie. They started the company as young parents who were looking for a soft, quality shoe for their little girl. They first started in a garage in California, then a bus in Texas before settling in Corvallis.

In 2005, Larkin and Tricia partnered up with Tim to introduce more people to Soft Star. And again in 2010 Soft Star expanded its line of leather moccasins to include the RunAmoc, a shoe for minimal or barefoot runners.

Soft Stars Core Values
• Make our workshop a wonderful place work: A creative, energizing and efficient workspace. An open, honest atmosphere where we work with mutual respect and dignity. A place where our families and community are welcome and integrated.

• Share the handcrafted experience with our customers making unique, beautiful, comfortable and quality footwear while encouraging direct interaction via excellent customer service

• Walk lightly on the earth: Conserve raw materials by thoughtful use. Minimize our environmental footprint by reducing waste, reusing and recycling.

Soft Star Review
I had the opportunity to review the Rambler shoe in colors Ocean and Ultra Blue. The shoes themselves are adorable! Super soft leather, easy to put on and a cute little star detail on the tongue. They have smooth leather uppers and suede innersole. They also feature a flexible rubber sole for durability and an elastic band that makes the shoe easy to get on. They are also water resistant!


NOTE: All leather at Soft Star is formaldehyde free and meet the highest safety standards! See more about their Citizen of the Earth stamp! (Way too much cool stuff to list!)

Little Brother put on the shoes with no problems at all. We tried them with and without socks and they stayed on perfectly! They look cute with any outfit and are so nice to throw on quickly.
The colors are bright and bold and very stylish. We had the opportunity in our visit to see Soft Star's wall of leather! Just look at all the colors. With Soft Star Shoes each shoe is handcrafted right there in their workshop, meaning you can design your own! You choose the colors and style and they cut the leather, soling and sheepskin and begin building your custom shoe! It is all very cool see the process and to know your shoes are coming straight from an Oregon town, all made in the USA! Awesome!

They don't just make shoes for kids. In fact they make so many varieties of shoes for men, women and children. One of their most popular right now is their RunAmoc. A barefoot minimalist running shoe. People swear by them, and they do look really comfortable. I didn't try the RunAmoc, but I did slip my foot in a black Merry Jane. Oh my gosh, so comfortable, so soft, the kind of shoes you don't want to take off. I'd have to say they look pretty stylish too!

The "Elves" at Soft Star were all very friendly and hard at work. It was so great for them to take time and show us around. I also want to mention that Soft Star does not waste anything when making their shoes. They are very very conscious in how much scrap is left after making the shoes. In fact they even have a leather scrap box where anybody can come grab some scraps to use on their own projects for free! All they ask is that you share your project with them! They have had a quilt, hacky sacks, skirts and more all made from their scrap bin! I love it! So cool! We picked up a few scraps on our visit but I'm still brainstorming on what I want to do with them. Suggestions? You can also purchase a one pound bag of leather scraps on their website, so get creative!

Soft Star also has a special scrap box to make Playful Pancakes Cat Toys. The cat toys are catnip-filled and are just $4.50. Inspired by their friend Cassidy, 100% of the proceeds of each toy goes to Kids For Kids, an organization that combats hunger in Sudan.

I could go on and on about Soft Star. But why not find out for yourself. You can find Soft Star on Facebook, Twitter and other popular social media sites. It is really fun to see on Facebook the custom orders that come through.

Special thanks to resident elf Martin for taking time out of his day to show us around and let the boys play around the store. What a fun atmosphere and we hope we can come back and visit soon! And of course pick up a new pair of Soft Stars!
Disclosure: I received this product for the purpose of review. I did not receive any compensation for this review. The opinions in my reviews are my own, and others’ opinions may vary. This post was written by me and not edited by anyone.

2 comments:

  1. These look like the most comfortable shoes EVER! They remind of some comfy mocs that I had years and years ago. I literally wore them out and had to let them go! I love the craftsmanship that goes into the making of these shoes! Thanks for bring Soft Star Shoes to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the looks of these. They do look super soft and comfy. That's a good price for the catnip toys also. We should check into that.

    ReplyDelete