Menu Bar

Friday, April 13, 2012

Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins

I purposely buy extra large bunches of banana's, many more than we can eat before they turn dark and mushy. And while my banana's had sat much longer than I intended, banana's that look like mine did below are perfect for any kind of banana bread!


This recipe for Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins is one of our families favorites. A healthy snack and treat all in one! In fact I think fresh warm out of the oven, they taste almost as good as a chocolate chip cookie!

Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins

Ingredients:
1 3/4 cups wheat flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1/2 cup vegetable oil ( I substitute applesauce)
1/2 cup plain yogurt (I use greek for extra protein)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup ripe mashed bananas
3/4 cup dark chocolate chips

Directions:
In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.


In another bowl, combine the egg, oil (applesauce), yogurt and vanilla.


Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in mashed bananas and chocolate chips.


Fill greased or paper lined muffin cups two-thirds full. (or silicone baking cups like mine)
Bake at 350 degrees F for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. 




My kids and husband gobble these up and I feel good knowing they are a healthy alternative to other snacks. Nothing left but the evidence of chocolate and a full belly on my sweet boy!

9 comments:

  1. Yum! I make banana choc chip oatmeal cookies but I think muffins would be great. I'll have to try these. Thanks for linking up to Snacktime Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From the look on the little guy's face, I have no questions or concerns. These are a definite winner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get enough bananas that look just like those so I should make these instead of buying Hostess. They sound great

    ReplyDelete
  4. You don't list baking powder only baking soda???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1 teaspoon baking powder! Good catch! Thanks for letting me know, it has been fixed!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for replying quickly I'm currently making these with my little boy! Also with silicon cups do you add additional non stick, I'm not use to using them!

      Delete
    3. Your welcome! Hope you love them as much as we do! For the silicon cups I don't use anything for non-stick, they do great on their own. I usually let the muffins cool just a bit then you can give a gentle squeeze around the edges and the bottom and pop the muffin right out. Then you can use them for the next batch if you don't have enough. If that doesn't work a butter knife will usually do the trick! Let me know what you think!

      Delete
  5. I must tell you that I have made these muffins many, many times. They are fantastic! Great for lunches for my kids and I think that they work out to about 2 WW Plus points (when made with applesauce and yoghurt). Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete