Menu Bar

Sunday, April 7, 2013

Changing Gears- A Family Odyssey to the End of the World Book Review

What would you do if you were not afraid? That is the question a fellow mom, just like you and me, asked herself one day. Her answer? Take her family of four, herself, husband and twin 10 year old boys on a journey from one end of the world to the other....on bikes!
Photo Courtesy of Family On Bikes Blog
When I was contacted by Nancy Sathre-Vogel, the mom and author of the book Changing Gears I was immediately intrigued. This mom from Idaho with two sons of her own is not all that different from me, yet she and her family took the journey of a lifetime and are here to tell their story in her new book. I know the work and effort that goes into a week long camping trip, yet this family spent 3 years...yes 3 years biking from Alaska to Argentina!
As you might expect the journey was not without many difficult moments. The Vogel family nearly ran out of food in Alaska and were chased by a bear. They battled the elements in both in the US and Central America and illness and mechanical problems plagued them along the way. Just like any other mom Nancy often wondered if she was doing the right thing for her boys. Would the journey be worth it?
Photo Courtesy of Family On Bikes Blog
I honestly couldn't put this book down. I often felt as if I were right there with the family. What would they do next? Could they make it? I also learned quite a bit about the history and geography of certain areas they traveled through and have a better view of mankind and the amazing and wonderful people that are willing to help a stranger.
Photo Courtesy of Family On Bikes Blog

The Vogel family saw and did more in three years than many of us will do in a lifetime. Their boys grew into confident, independent and capable young men right before their eyes. They made it to the end of the world, together, as a family. Was it worth it? Could you do it?
Photo Courtesy of Family On Bikes Blog

This book is a must read and not only a fabulous true story of family, adventure and determination but about dreams. What dream would you follow if you were not afraid?

Find out more about Nancy and her family on their site Family on Bikes and you can purchase both paperback or ebook versions of Changing Gears here as well.
Disclosure: I received this product for the purpose of review. I did not receive any compensation for this review. The opinions in my reviews are my own, and others’ opinions may vary. This post was written by me and not edited by anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment